Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Christmas Kissing Ball Tutorial

photo 2 (3)-1 

 Christmas Kissing Balls are one of my favorite decorations to make during the holidays.  I really enjoy creating them & I have fun with all different custom orders.  I decided to bring you along as I created this custom ball for a sweet Etsy customerI posted a tutorial a couple years ago {HERE}, but decided an updated version was due…my picture quality has improved a bit, I hope;)

photo 1 (5) 

Supplies

  • moss ball (you can wrap a foam ball yourself or purchase one pre-wrapped)
  • pine sprigs, pine cones, acorns, berries, greens, etc.
  • About 2 yards of ribbon(depending on how far you want it to hang)
  • hot glue gun and glue (optional)

Recently Updated4-2

Steps

  1. Get your moss ball.  I used a pre-wrapped 6 inch moss ball.
  2. Take your chosen ribbon and wrap your ball, sort of like a present twisting at the bottom and wrapping back up to the top. *Leave one end longer to hang
  3. Bring the ribbon back up to the top.  Make sure it is even with your twist at the bottom and then wrap it under itself.
  4. Tie a knot making sure your longer side is the length you want it to hang.
  5. Add in a couple more loops by wrapping wire around another piece of ribbon and stick it in leaving the other end to drape down.
  6. Add in you pine, berries,  and other goodies keeping it somewhat symmetrical, but not too ‘matchy’.  You can simply stick them in the foam or I like to secure with a little hot glue as well.  Just keep adding in layers until you get your desired look and fullness.  Keep checking as you go to make sure it hangs balanced by holding it up from the top of your ribbon.  You can add weight around with your foliage accordingly.

Once you get the look you want, neatly trim your ribbons.  If you used wired ribbon you can manipulate it a little like I did with with this one.  Make a looped knot at the top for hanging… and there you go!

photo 3 (3)photo 1 (3) 

Hang from your ceiling, an entry chandelier (that’s where mine is), or wherever you see fit.  They make great  hostess gifts for parties too!

photo 4 (3)

Here are a few more of some of the variations I’ve made…

November 2009

The possibilities are endless.. Have fun! xoxo

Share Your Creations
The 36th Avenue
Home Stories A2Z
Tip Junkie handmade projects 

5 comments:

  1. Your kissing ball is beautiful. The ribbon is so pretty and the bits of greenery and pinecones add so much.
    Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful kissing ball! So glad to see your tutorial so I can try and make one myself!
    I'd love it if you shared this at a party I have going on at Project Queen. Here is the link if you are interested.
    http://projectqueen.org/link-party-11-turning-the-daunting-into-the-do-able
    I'm a new follower! Hope you come by sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely decoration!
    Michele P
    http://sewinspirations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous. I just made one myself, although I did not use fresh greenery as you have.

    Maybe next year I'll try it your way. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are much appreciated! :)