Saturday, November 21, 2009

Kitchen Backsplash Makeover

The DIY Show Off

I love my kitchen, but it did not have a back splash. That is something I always wanted to change. I really like tin tiles and I had looked into a couple different places to purchase them and they were kind of pricey and I would have to hire someone to install them. I found these faux tin tiles at Lowe's and they are awesome! At $18 per panel, you can't beat it! I bought them seriously about 9 months ago and they have been sitting ever since. (Gotta love it!) Well, I said I was now ready to do some updating, so here you go. Oh, and this won't be the last of it!
Before.
Before.
And... AFTER!
These were way easy to work with. The hardest part was the measuring and making sure the lines matched up. (I will say, measure twice, cut once ;) ) They come in 18"x 24" sheets and I just used utility scissors to cut them. You could use a utility knife as well. They really look so much like real tin! Everyone who I have shown can't believe they aren't.

I used liquid nails to attach them to the wall. It didn't take much because the tension between the cabinets and the granite helps to hold them in place. Easy breezy! :)
The color and design adds so much warmth and character to our kitchen. I am sooooo excited with how it turned out! And even more that I did it all by myself...woo hoo :) Also, don't be afraid to mix finishes and types of wood. You might feel like everything needs to be the same. I'm not a huge fan of matchy matchy. In our kitchen, I have two different stains on my cabinets along with black painted pieces. As well as stainless steel and oil rubbed bronze finishes. Mixing different finishes just adds interest and gives your home it's own unique feel. Do want feels good to you!

I had some scraps left over so the bread box could not escape my embellishing! Don't you worry there will be more projects to come with the other trimmings. ;) I hope this ispires ya'll to get going with things you have always wanted to change or update in your home. I'm not gonna lie, I was intimidated to take on this project, but the end result is worth it for sure!


DIY Day @ ASPTL

16 comments:

  1. Wow, those tiles really changed the look of your kitchen! I really love the color...it adds a lot of warmth. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I love those tiles - I have been trying to find something to make with them. Very cute!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh woW!!! This really changes the look of your kitchen!! It was beautiful beofre but now it looks more finished. LOVE LOVE it!!! Just beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. something for me to consider, I need a backsplash in the worst way!
    it looks great!
    beaducation.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! I just came to your blog via Kimba's site! This looks really amazing! My parents used that stuff to the whole backsplash of their kitchen (that awkward narrow space between the counter and the cupboards) and it looks amazing.
    I LOVE how you did the breakbox! Love love love it!
    Thanks for a fantastic DIY idea!
    God Bless ~ Em

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to do this in my kitchen! I've been planning to redo my countertops and I've never had a backsplash either! Question: Mine would end where the wall turns a corner. Any suggestions on finishing the edge? So it can, well, end?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is beautiful. It looks great in your kitchen. I have always loved that look. I am getting ready to do my kitchen and have been considering doing something like this...my kitchen is not salvageable!
    Holly @ 504 Main

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your "tin" backsplash! I saw those sheets at Lowe's and wondered how easy they were to work with. Your kitchen looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh! I love your kitchen! Totally coveting right now! If you get the chance can you visit my blog and give me some pointers on a color for my cabinets? Only if you get time,but it would be awesome because I love your style!
    Connie
    (the crafterbug)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your backsplash! makes your Kitchen so classy! :) it was Beautiful before, but I love the after. I just found your blog today, I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your back splash looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this idea, just wondering what paint colour you chose for your walls?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The principle effectiveness of a residential look that can assist you always keep, ready yourself as well as cause portions diet regime as well as in order to perform like undertakings as with dishwashing.tiny red bugs on concrete

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are much appreciated! :)