Sunday, March 14, 2010

Mirror Mirror...


Remember when I did the post showing those dreamy mudrooms?  Well this is one of the reasons.  I still have a hard time understanding why the architect who designed my house did the laundry and garage entry this way, but that is beside the point now.  As I mentioned before I am going to do a few things to improve what is there and be happy with what I have.  This little project is the tiny tip of the iceberg, but I am very excited about it!  You can see above that poor little mirror is heavily overloaded.  We got this in our very first condo 11 years ago and 4 moves and 3 states later it is still with us!  Don't worry my sentimental side won't let her go, but I am going to fix 'er up a bit and give her a lighter load. ;)


I wanted to find a sturdy mirror with hooks.  I knew for a big mirror that I loved I would be paying a pretty penny and I never did see one that had hooks and the functionality we needed.  So of course I have been scouring the thrift stores and I found this puppy.  If you follow me on Twitter you might remember when I found it.  Oh happy day...only $8.95!!  Now I don't know if you can tell, but she is a big old gal!  This great mirror measures 30" x 46"!  I know, right?!  Pretty cool.  In the words of the nice man who carried it out to my car for me, "They are givin this thing to you!"  He was so cute.



So now you might be saying, "did you say great mirror?  really, Krista?"  But just you wait! :)
I promptly removed the wood applique from the top and decided I wanted to fill in the oval too.  Just a little wood filler and sanding.  Don't look too close please, I am a little impatient.

A light sanding all over and she was ready to paint!  I was going to do my staple black, but Mr. Husband helped me decide on a nice color I already had called twig.  I think he just chose the color I said last, but nonetheless, I am glad he helped me out and he is pleased that he played a role in deciding something for decorating our home.  I added an applique on the top and my super cute hooks, sanded and distressed a tiny bit and...



If I do say so myself, I love it!  I had a hard time getting a great pic because I didn't want the horribly messy laundry room or myself in the pictures. LOL  But, I hope you get the idea.


I for sure wanted a mirror here for a couple reasons.  First, to open up the space because it is so tight right there and most importantly, so we can do one last outfit check as we walk out the door of course!  I think the color choice Mr. Husband "helped" choose is great as well to keep the space light and open.



The hooks seem like a splurge when you pay nine bucks for a huge mirror, but they were the detail that I really wanted to give it the over all character and interest I wanted.  I put these cute ones on the bottom.  They were $2 from Pier One and perfect for little hands to hang their stuff.  I feel like the sort of finish off the bottom too, because I think it once sat on a dresser.



I LOVE these cutie-patutie knobers!  I looked on eBay for some antique ones to get that character I was looking for, but I couldn't find what I wanted for what I wanted to pay.  So I found these little replicas at Hobby Lobby!  Aren't they sweet?  I'm sure they go on sale from time to time, but I was feeling really impatient so I paid $3.99 each, which isn't too bad considering.  I simply measured and drilled holes and then screwed these right in.  They work great because they are long.  This gave me enough to make sure they were in good and still have some length to hang coats on.




Finished up,  my big custom mirror cost me around $4o total.  Which in my opinion is not bad at all!  It makes me motivated to finish up my laundry room and storage issues for this little entry.  Check back for updates and best wishes for all your projects!  Oh and for the record, it will look this clean for about 5mins. Just keepin it real. ;)



I'm Sharing...Visit thecsiproject.com







The DIY Show Off







DIY Day @ ASPTL











Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

20 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm loving your project. Thanks for sharing your fabulous results!!!
    God's blessings,
    Sarah :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the mirror, great color and oh the knobs so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!!! It is an amazing transformation! I love that blue furniture piece also!
    Jenn {redberrybarn.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! Unbelievable transformation! You've got talent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you did a great job!! The colour, the details - and the mirror itself (what a find!) - lovely job and thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the mirror! I wanted to thank you for posting your comment on the Whippy Cake giveaway! Your so sweet. It is always inspiring to hear that my work is admired. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it looks great and I love the hooks and applique you added!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great transformation! It looks like a different mirror now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow!!! It's stunning! I absolutely LOVE it! Great job! Thanks so much for sharing your creativity in the DIY Project Parade! :)

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks incredible!
    And I love that aqua blue hutch in the last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The mirror turned out great! Gotta love the thrift store! And those knobs are darling! Looks Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! it looks great! Love the lil knobies!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This turned out great. What a brilliant find and what a beautiful makeover you gave it!
    ~Sam

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is awesome...the transfomation is amazing! Thanks for stopping by yesterday and following. I followed ya back! :)

    Jane @ Finding Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  15. terrifficly (a made-up word!) lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! I so will be on the lookout for an old mirror to transform! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the mirror. It's a great solution for your space. I did something similar with an old piano top.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So so pretty! I love the color you painted it. And those hooks and little knob are beautiful!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are much appreciated! :)