Sunday, April 11, 2010

Mother Daughter Craft :) – Simple Fabric Topiary

 

IMG_0670   IMG_0674

My cute girls are always wanting to make a craft.  They come by it honestly, right?  I feel bad because I always feel like I am saying, “yeah, maybe later”.  I think it is important for me to take the time to do fun projects with them.  Especially now while they are so interested!  One day they may think it isn’t cool or fun…I hope that doesn’t happen!!

So yesterday, I was making a wreath and the question came…"Mom, can we make a craft?”  Instead of my usual answer, I dropped everything and we did just that. :)  This is probably not the first time this project has been done, but it was a first for us and they turned out so cute! 

IMG_0272 IMG_0273 IMG_0274

I have a bunch of Styrofoam balls in my craft room and my little one was already playing with them and she said, “lets make something with these!”  I gathered up some ribbon and scraps of fabric and cut them into about 3-4 inch strips.  Then we simply pressed them into the balls, varying patterns and colors, but nothing to technical.  Once they were full we went around and trimmed some of the edges a bit.  We left the fabric with the raw edge and made sure there was variation in the lengths for dimension and interest.

IMG_0670 

Next we stuck in a stick for the stem, put it in a little pot I had and filled it with moss. (of course)  I then tied a little flower tag on it with jute.  I just used what I had, but it would be fun to have it say something, like “bloom”.  This is the one I made, I gave it to my oldest for her room.  She loves it.  ***I apologize for some of the pictures.  I was in the moment and just took them with my iphone because it was in my pocket. ;)***

IMG_0285 IMG_0286

This cute thing is the one my daughter made.  She decided to give it to her Dad for  some spring decor in his office.  So sweet! :)  We stuck hers in a little cardboard bag and stuck a little tag on the front.The possibilities are endless and we are excited to try some other variations.

This was so fun, easy and very fulfilling.  They were quick to make, but spending time doing things like this with my girls is so important.  I need to do it more.  I’m linking up at A Lovely Place to Land for DI4Y. 

Visit thecsiproject.com 
The Girl Creative Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!MakingFunky Junk's Saturday Nite Speciallovely place button
 

26 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! How cute are these! I adore them...what a wonderful and creative idea!

    You are such a sweet mommy!

    Enjoy!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, These are AMAZING! YOU are amazing! I love them, and I know a little girl who will too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. adorable!
    love this. i love any kind of ribbon too! it's such a girly girl decor.
    have a beautiful week!

    kellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely ADORE this! Thank you for sharing this at the DI4Y link party. I've really, REALLY appreciated your support :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. absolutely delightful! easy and charming, too! perfect! Thanks sooo very much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the cutest topiary idea ever and perfect for a girl's room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is adorable and I love that you included your girls. Very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! You could make in various palettes to match a room (or even shower/party decor). What a great idea!
    We have a Friday Fun Finds party- if you're interested, we'd love it if you'd link to this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very Cute! I need to drop my project's and do the same with my kids! They grow up so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you've received an award!

    Come to my blog to pick it up!

    Http://www.livelaughmakesomething.blogspot.com

    big hug!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How sweet is that? What a great project to make your little ones feel so special and foster their own creativity. You have such a lovely blog here! I'm so happy I happened upon it today.

    Kare

    ReplyDelete
  12. I find you inspiring so I just gave you a "Sunshine" Award. Check it out here: http://sawdustandpaperscraps.blogspot.com/2010/04/id-like-to-thank-my.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a cute project. I featured it today!

    XOOX
    Jen
    {tatertots & jello}

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love these! I am trying it out today...thanks for sharing such a cute, springy idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so fun, cute, beautiful! I love this idea.

    Fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this! saw it over at Tater tots and Jello, just had to come and check it out!
    Dena

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely my favorite thing ever (but I tell all the blogs that) seriously though I love it so very much! perfect for scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is so super cute, & what's even better than the darling topiaries is that you chose to do something fun with your kids!! Awesome!
    Blessings,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are cute and fun, nice job, mom!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is sew (he he) cute I wish my puppy wouldn't eat it....

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is super cute. What a fun way to use up leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So cute! I've been looking for some fun ideas to do with a group of 9 year old girls. I'm gonna try this craft. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just found your blog...and it is SO cute! I love this idea...and it would be great for my girls' birthday party!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this topiary, so fun. How did you make the scraps stick to the styrofoam? I know you said you pressed them in but how do they stay in?
    sales@lollylinens dot com
    Thanks, Katy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are much appreciated! :)