Thursday, February 18, 2010

Keys To My Heart


Over the holidays, my wonderful Grandma gifted me her mother's piano!  It is amazing how things work out.  My daughter is very musical and I wanted to get her in lessons and I would love to brush up on my piano skills (inallmysparetime) plus, I think pianos are pretty. ;)  I have been looking to get a piano for months now.  I didn't want spend a ton of money and I love things with character so I was looking at a lot of older pianos.  Nothing really worked out and then one fine day my Grandma called and asked if I wanted my Great Grandma's piano.  Well, um yeah, I guess I will take it off your hands!  Are you kidding?  I was sooo excited!  Not only do I get a FREE piano (this always makes Mr. Husband happy), but I get one that belonged to my Grandma who I loved so dearly with all it's character and sentimental value!

My Great-Granparents purchased it in the 1950's.  It's beautiful mahogany wood with real ivory keys.  My grandmother learned to play on it and once she had kids it was in her home so my Mom learned to play on it...aaannnd, when I first started taking lessons we did not have a piano, so I learned to play on it as well!  How's that for sentimental value?!

It could definitely use some refinishing and I will touch it up a bit, but I don't want to lose any of it's charm.  Call me crazy (Mr. Husband does)  but I LOVE all it's little imperfections and "history". Sure it needs a new knob and it is missing it's bench, there are some dings and dents, but I love the story it tells.



This beautiful mark here?.... When my mom was little she left the piano lamp on, it tipped over and almost burnt the house down.  Love it!



I love the angles the curves and all of the amazing details as well.




What makes a house a home?  To me it is filling it with warm and interesting pieces that make you feel good.  I want my home to tell a story.  The story of a family and a life.  I want it to be comfortable and inviting, a place my kids feel they can be themselves.  A retreat from the crazy world out there. Some may look at this piano and think it is a piece of crap.  But, that doesn't matter to me.  Surround yourself with things you love and do what makes you, YOU.


I love that this piano is now in our house.  I love what it represents and I love that it will fill our home with beautiful music.  And every time I hear a note I can hopefully be reminded of my Great Grandma, Grandma and Mom and the amazing women they were and are.  That makes me happy. :)

Feeling inspired so I'm linking up...

3 comments:

  1. My mother-in-law recently passed away and gifted her piano to our one musical son. Her piano was purchased in the 1950 also and looks a lot like yours in color, dents, dings and all! Congrat and have fun playing again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful! How wonderful that you have such a lovely treasure to cherish.

    ~Blessings, ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow how did you do that last photo? It looks so classic, family heirloomish. Love it! And that piano is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are much appreciated! :)