Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Cover Up

IMG_1119IMG_1089IMG_1112 

 

 IMG_1073

I found this sweet shelf last week at a garage sale for $1.50.  Although she is lovely with her little hearts, these little hearts aren’t really my thing.  There are so many shelves like this around in thrift stores and at garage sales, or you may even have some around your house.  (I know when I was little we had a ton around our home.) Maybe you still dig the hearts, and if you do that is fabulous!  But if not,  here is one easy way to update them with a custom new look. 

IMG_1075

When I did my kitchen backsplash I had quite a few scrap peices left over.  You can check the back splash out HERE, but for those who remember, I said I would put those scraps to use. So here you go!  These are plastic tiles made to look like tin, so they are very easy to work with.  I bought mine from Lowe’s. I simply measured the parts of the shelf I wanted to cover, traced it and then cut them out.  Easy breezy!  Before I attached the pieces with epoxy, I spray painted the wood with ORB and then roughly painted over it for a aged appearance.  I even dry brushed a little over the tiles to blend them a little.

IMG_1118 

On the little doors I added a copper upholstery tack with a little piece of jute to hook on the existing screw.  And she was complete!  Quite a transformation, don’t you think?

IMG_1113    

Finding existing pieces like this and adding your own touch, is a great way to get one of a kind decor in your home.  That is unless you have mad wood working skills and can bust out little wood creations yourself.  But in most cases you couldn’t even buy the materials for that cheap, right?  Not to mention reusing, reducing and recycling!…Yeah, I’m just trying to do my part.;)

I’m entering this in the CSI Project Challenge this week. Check it out!

Visit thecsiproject.com

Linking up…

HouseofGrace

10 comments:

  1. What a great transformation to your little shelf it's very cute and creative! Followed you from House of Grace twice owned queen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now had you not said anything I would have just thought that was tin..very cool. Looks good.
    tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! What a transformation!
    You did very well.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea to use this metal tin for this cute shelf!! Turned out just darling!!

    bee blessed
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - that is really cute. I have seen those tin tiles at Home Depot and wanted to make something out of them! It looks great!

    Thanks for linking up! We hope you can come back next week for the Martha Stewart-inspired challenge. We are having a very special guest!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great transformation! I would have passed up that cute shelf because of the hearts - but never again!

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your creative ideas! I'm following your blog from New Friend Friday.

    http://aglutenfreemom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic eye you have!! I never would have seen it in the original shelf -- but I love the outcome. I also loved your newer post with the tulle and burlap wreath. It's beautiful to see the two, very different fabrics juxtaposed successfully. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a really good job. The transformation is amazing.
    Your tips are highly appreciated. Thanks!
    -Building a house

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are much appreciated! :)